Can you believe we’re entering the 2020s in just a few hours? It seems like only yesterday I was in my parents’ living room, listening to my uncles croon mangled folksongs while my cousins blew on noisemakers and everyone tried to brace themselves for Y2K. Back then, I was a junior in high school. Now, I’m a wife (ten years going), a mom (times two), a homeowner (second time around), a former newspaper editor (first female in its 100-year-history), and novelist (trilogy, baby!).
Celebrating my 38th New Year means I’ve made at least a couple dozen resolutions over the years: to eat better, exercise more, drink less, be more mindful, be less defensive, be more attentive, be less reactive, blog more often, read at least twice a week, sleep at least seven hours a day, actually start meal planning, don’t make one load of laundry take three days, and so on. But this year, I’m putting all the aforementioned in a wishful-thinking bubble, and focusing on what I want to accomplish professionally in 2020. And I’m broadcasting them here in hopes someone will hold me accountable if I start to lag!
So here goes. During the first year of the third decade of the 2000s, I plan to:
- Publish the novella that’s been floating around in my head for a year (Grethel deserves to be heard!)
- Complete at least one draft of my next novel (stay tuned for more details)
- Release the entire Desperately Ever After trilogy as an ebook bundle
- Either step up my freelancing game or start an editing/paginating business on the side
- And a bonus: Take the unfinished manuscript I shelved almost a decade ago, and give it a new life
I’m printing this out right now and pinning it up by my computer.
And now it’s your turn. What are your goals for 2020? Maybe we can cheer each other on!!